At Meridian we are proud of all our successes, achievements and highlights of 2017-2018
- Our Year 6 SATs results were above the national average in reading, writing and maths for those working at the expected standards and those working at greater depth.
- Our Year 2 SATs results were in line or above the national average in all areas (reading, writing and maths) where pupils were working at expected standards and at greater depth.
- Our Year 1 phonics results were above the national standards, and our EYFS figures were above the national average for those working at a good level of development.
We took part in many competitive events and sporting occasions. For example:
- We took part in the Cambridgeshire Year 6 English challenge
- We were finalists in the Cambridgeshire Year 5 maths challenge
- We gained our Bronze Sports’ Mark award for 2017–2018, narrowly missing Silver
- We introduced new sporting activities: archery, orienteering, stacking, fencing, dodge ball, cricket
- All classes had a term’s support to learn cricket
- Year 4 took part in the Cambridgeshire Gymnastic competition
- Years 5 and 6 took part in South Cambridgeshire tournaments for Netball, Hockey, Football, and cross-country running
- Year 2 took part in the South Cambridgeshire tennis festival
- Year 1 took part in the South Cambridgeshire multi-skills festival
- Year 3 and 4 took part in an orienteering competition
In music as well, we showed our skills and shared our joy:
- All year groups were involved in their own fantastic musical performance, entertaining parents with solo and group pieces;
- Key Stage 2 pupils presented a Carol Concert
- Some of our musicians took to busking, playing Christmas carols as we arrived at school;
- The whole school took part in a Carol Service at St Marys Parish Church
- Our music leaders and Mrs Talbot (peripatetic music teacher) organised a Summer Children’s Music festival
- Our choir performed at West Road Concert Hall as part of a schools choirs county-wide project.
Other educational and cultural events at Meridian have included:
- An intensive reading day to celebrate World Book Day
- An Africa Day with a drumming workshop for all classes
- University scientists and STEM Ambassadors supporting our science lessons.
- Year 6 Workshops with BPP law students
- Year 6 enterprising day
- A Spanish Day
- A Healthy Living week
- Astra Zeneca and Cambridge United program for Year 5 and 6 on a Healthy Heart.
And that’s not all!!
Here are a few more of the fun and fascinating things we got up to last year:
- We welcomed many multi-faith visitors to school in support of our Key Stage 2 Religious Education learning
- We had school trips to Ely Cathedral, Celtic harmony, Cambridge University museums, Hilltop, Burwell House (for a filming project), the Fitzwilliam museum, the Space Centre and Pizza Express, all in support of the curriculum
- We had a great time at the disco, our Pancake toss day and the Summer Social (organised by the PTA)
- The circus came to Meridian - a fantastic weekend organised by the PTA!
We look forward to more events and successes in this academic year.